What? WHAT? Yes, after much debate (with myself) I’ve decided not to participate in NaNoWriMo this year… Well, not officially anyway. As much as I love how the mad bouts of productivity and sky-high word counts that I magically (robotically?) seem to dole out every November or during other write-a-thon events, I’m trading in my word count for an email that I can send to my CPs/beta readers finally declaring, “Hey, I finished revising my novel. Have at it!” Basically this year I’m taking a page out of Jen Ellision‘s book and participating in my own little National Novel REVISING Month (NaNoReMo).
Whenever I had to write an essay in high school or university, I would write like the wind, but when it came to revising? HAHAHAHAHA. This is honestly Classic Lindsey, and since I don’t have an ~official deadline for my novel, obviously I’ve been taking my sweet time in revising it. I keep procrastinating for whatever reason and ohhhh how tempting it is to start fresh on a new project. BUT NOT THIS YEAR. This year I’m going to finish what I started three years ago. This year I’m going to finish what I put on hold EVERY YEAR because of NaNoWriMo.
In other news, that schedule I made for myself back in late September? I haven’t been sticking to it as strictly as I hoped, but I’M NOT MAD AT ALL. Of course on the week I decided to create that daily schedule, my workplace declared that we could start banking extra hours to allow us extra days off during the holidays. Sometimes I go in early, sometimes I stay late. Strangely enough, my unpredictable work schedule still allows me to follow every item on my daily schedule… EXCEPT THE MORNING WRITING SLOT. I was able to get in about a week’s worth of sessions before I switched to sleeping an extra half hour instead LOL. That’s something I’ll need to work on this month.
Today is November 1st. The plan is to make yet another daily schedule somewhat similar to the NaNo 1667 words per day one. Today, I think (I HOPE) I will go to a Starbucks or something and just focus on getting that done before anything else. Wish me… Strength. Pots of coffee. And candy.
Super glad one of my 2014 goals wasn’t to keep up with this blog more often because then I would’ve failed hardcore, yo. Anyways, yeah, how is 2014 already ending? How many times in one’s life is the phrase “time flies” uttered? When does one reach the limit to quoting lines from John Mayer’s “St Patrick’s Day” in blog post titles? So many questions!
And are there just as many answers? Probably not, but I suppose when it comes down to it, the answer to any question can simply be summarized as “lol life.”
Anyway, in extremely delayed news, I won NaNoWriMo 2014! Yes ma’am, I wrote 50K in November! The story goes that I was kiiind of having some difficulties in revising ETERNITY CHASERS because you know, time travel resulting in events to occur in supremely specific ways. I knew that events in Book 1 would heavily influence events in Books 2 and 3 (and 4? Yikes.), and vice versa. My solution? To write a suuuper rough draft of Book 2. I know that you shouldn’t really touch sequel drafts until you’ve got revised/critiqued/etc version of the first book in your yet to be completed series, but I made my own exception as I just needed to have a draft of what goes down in the future (or the past) so that I could ~lock in~ what happens during the events of EC. And I’m talking like specific snippets of dialogue, when/where people are on any given minute, the butterfly effect…. Just typical time travel business. November seemed like the perfect opportunity for that, and hooray for I accomplished it! The only problem is that now I’m all ASLKJDLKADFHDSF over certain characters and plot developments because I know what happens to later and I’m like half grinning like a maniac and half lying on the cold hard ground. And that’s all I shall say about that.
In other news, there really isn’t any other news? The past few months have been insane at work. Apparently every clinic, university, and medical distributor has the mad lust for catheters, so I’ve been neck deep in that.
Oh oh oh Star Wars! Less than a year until Episode VII: The Force Awakens hits theatres! I’ve discussed this with my sister and I seem to be going through some strange revertigo/nostalgia phase because it is JUST! SO! WEIRD! that Star Wars is… back. Like I never thought I would endure the whole “homg trailers. homg casting. homg new lightsabers,” and yet here I am. It’s just … well, it’s just very “lol life.”
It’s just like John Lennon sang: I’M A LOSER.
But really, am I? No, she said, answering her own question. Although I may not have hit that 50K mark within these thirty days of November, I was able to do a whole bunch of other stuff. Since I love lists, here is one of my mini, albeit significant achievements:
1. Doctor Who marathons. This started back in September, but basically with the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who on November 23rd, SPACE channel aired marathons and specials every weekend. That’s basically what I did on Sundays, the day I usually reserve for write-a-thons. I would always have my laptop with me, but my eyes were glued to the television screen instead. It was cool because my mom and I were able to ~bond over these marathons and I got to rewatch some of my favourite episodes and relive some nightmares, too (ANGELS. DOLLS. UGH…)
2. Sailor Moon marathons. This was also a thing that I did in November. This might also be a thing I am still doing in December.
3. I wrote a short story. Okay, so here’s probably the biggest item on this list. In November, I spent a good week brainstorming, writing, and revising a short story to submit to Inaccurate Realities. That totally paid off because said short story was selected for the upcoming issue in January. Yay! More details about that and the other stories featured in the issue can be found here. I’m sooooo so excited. While it is beyond awesome that my story is going to be in print, I’m also just really ~in like~ with the story I wrote. I remember finishing it and telling myself that even if it wasn’t chosen for publication, it didn’t matter because I was just glad I wrote it. Now I’m also glad (and nervous) that I’ll get to share this story …with the world.
4. Catching Fire! I saw Catching Fire and it was AMAZING. I mean, there are some casting choices that I’m still side-eyeing, but I was so impressed by the film. Jennifer Lawrence… I didn’t think she could amaze me further, but dang. I also saw Thor 2 early in the month and that film was also super exciting and entertaining. In addition, trailers for Divergent and Vampire Academy. YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
5. The Fiery Heart. One of my most anticipated novels of the year was released in November. Much of the month was spent freaking out over the book’s arrival, freaking out over Amazon not delivering the Kindle version to me (AGAIN), and finally reading the book and freaking out about that. Of course, the book was A+++. Another great book I read in November was Susan Dennard’s “Something Strange and Deadly.” Such a refreshingly enjoyable read with an amazing protagonist and cool setting.
6. Agents of SHIELD and Reign a.k.a. the two shows I’ve become addicted to this fall season. It’s been a whiiiile since I’ve had a “regular” show that I’d watch each week, so to have two of them is a Big Deal. Funnily enough, these two shows get so much flack for being “boring” or “inaccurate” or “pointless,” but WHATEVER. They’re fun.
7. Disney’s Aladdin: The Musical. Toronto is super lucky to get the pre-Broadway run of Disney’s Aladdin musical, and my sisters and I saw a performance just a few days ago. It was MAGICAL. I swear, I couldn’t breathe from some of the Genie’s scenes, especially “Friend Like Me” because I was shaking with laughter. Overall, it was an enjoyable production and I will definitely be picking up the OBCR next year. And Jafar voice actor IRL…playing Jafar. I’ll never get over this fact.
8. 25K of The Neverland Cure. Right. So firstly, I did come up with an actual title for my Neverland Remix story and it’s THE NEVERLAND CURE (although I still like THE NEVERLAND REMEDY. I’m undecided). Secondly, while I didn’t hit the 50K mark, I did make it halfway which I think is a pretty dang good feat considering I spent a total of three days writing. Yes. It’s time for a confession: I only dedicated three days to writing this particular story. No wonder I failed at 50K, right? I don’t even really know if I can label myself as a participant in NaNoWriMo this year because I didn’t slave over my word count every day. I think that’s a blessing in disguise, though. A different year, a different experience.
Some of my non-Nano writing occurred because of inevitable procrastination. Fortunately, I procrastinated by writing the short story mentioned in #3. That definitely makes this one of those bright side/silver lining situations. I am sure there is also a lesson in here somewhere about just going with your instincts. I knew that I should’ve been working on TNC/TNR, but a voice kept urging me to work on the short story instead. I listened to that voice and fortunately, it paid off. 😀
I’m still in deep like with this work in progress and I will probably continue to add to its word count every now and then. Although I wasn’t able to actually write the story, I did make several notes on my phone throughout the month. SO NEVERLAND, I WILL BE BACK.
And so, the moral of the story: I did not win NaNoWriMo this year, but what I did instead was pretty worthwhile. You win some, you lose some. Except, sometimes you also win when you lose. Or something like that.
Hi, December! 😐
Once upon a time, I didn’t really pay attention to the finite details of celestial activities and randomly chose “October 25th” as The Date that STARLESS NIGHT takes place. This is way back when it was called “The Lovestruck 12” (a play on clocks and romantic entanglements) and more about …well, clocks and romantic entanglements. So although the title has changed, the story has evolved, and I’m now full aware that the peak of the Orionids meteor shower is actually on October 21/22, I always think upon today’s date with fondness, especially when it falls on a Friday. A FRIDAY THAT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE A STARLESS NIGHT DUE TO RAIN.
Anyway, there is no actual point to this blog post except to note the date and the weather. Also, to post this photo of my daily word calendar which strangely mentions clouds and a storm.
Ah, I guess while I have this text box open I might as well include on update on life and writing. Let’s do this the point form way.
• I signed up for Pinterest. It’s super addictive. My boards and pins are here
• I posted a snipped of FNTF and the first two chapters of Verona Horse Mermaid on fictionpress just for fun. I think I might post the next few chapters of VHM before the year ends just because it feels so lonely just sitting there in its scrivener folder. It’s definitely the most FUN story to write, so yes. I’ll be updating some more.
• November is one week away and I’m totally planning on writing for NaNoWriMo again. This year I shall be going to Never Never Land! No title yet, but I’m referring to it as The Neverland Remix (simply because that is what it is. It’s not about DJ spinning tracks in Neverland or something)
• I cosplayed as Han Solo in the summer. Halloween is next week, but I’m still not sure if I’m dressing up. Time shall tell.
• During the summer, I attempted Camp Nano in July. I only hit about 12K, but a good fraction of my brain is still highly invested in the story. That WIP is being referred to as The Space Errand. It’s like Medieval Times in Space with some French Rev thrown into the mix.
• Clearly, I have WAY too many works in progress in my life right now. I love it, but my brain is allllll over the place. Thank goodness for Pinterest!
And that’s pretty much it! As I mentioned, Nano is soon and that means there shall definitely be a pre-Nano post of lamentations and freaking out next week. Until then, adieu~
And here we are again. It’s the last Saturday of November and time for another NaNoWriMo write-a-thon. I actually haven’t touched my novel in 5 days. The first reason being that I didn’t want to get ahead of myself and finish the 50K in less than three weeks. I mean, the point is to write a novel in a month, not in three weeks, right? So I decided to leave the story alone for a bit. Sometimes it’s good to do that, which is my second reason. Taking a step back from what I’ve been writing allowed me to just ruminate on it all for a while and let what I’ve written soak in. Now, however, it’s time to get back on this train. Today’s goal, more or less, is to hit 50K. The story is pretty much finished save a few transitions, so today is all about sewing it up into a completed product…
In related news, I think I came up with the title. I’ve been using The Autumn List as a proxy since that’s literally what the story is about – a list and it’s Autumn. While crossing the stupid Confederation bridge last Saturday on my way to Starbucks, I was in a panicked state because I despise walking over bridges, so I just kept chanting to myself, “don’t be scared. don’t be scared. DON’T BE SCARED.” Then I started playing around with the wording of my self-assuring motto and eventually ended up telling myself “fear not the fall.” And then, it hit me. Fear Not The Fall is my perfect title. First of all, HELLO WORDPLAY. Second of all, the slight alliteration (I’m a huuuge fan of alliteration, let this be known). Third, it has more than one meaning and can be interpreted differently for my characters. So yeaaah. It’s still way early in the game, but for now this title is a keeper. Side note: the other title that popped into my mind that was sooo close to replacing the proxy one was The Infinite Fall. I’m still kind of attached to it, but I think I like the other one just a bit more.
10:33 – Smoothie concoction has been poured into my cup and yes, let’s do this. 45 547
11:35 – Transitions are the wooorst. It’s like, JUST TELEPORT INTO THE NEXT HOUR/LOCATION ALREADY. Oh, the trials of writing a contemp. Everything must happen AS HUMANLY AS POSSIBLE. I guess I could always make my characters drug addicts or narcoleptics to explain random skips in time? Hahaha, no… 46 502
12:30 – I’m currently adding to the ~first meeting scene~ of my two main characters and Taylor Swift’s Enchanted just came up on my playlist. Appropriate? VERY MUCH SO <333 Granted, their meeting is not nearly as sappy as what's portrayed in Taylor's song, but still. STILL. 47 544
1:37 – There is this …conversation of sorts that I need to write and this one and another are basically the only remaining ~huge scenes left of the story. And I’ve been avoiding them both for a while. Also, the sun is blazing in my eye and I feel like I can’t write DRAMA when it’s so bright outside. Hmm. 48 020
1:43 – RANDOM FACT TIME: One of my character’s last names is a variation of the last names of one of the members of One Direction. I didn’t realize this until after I’d already chosen and become attached to it. I didn’t choose it because of said member, but I am just amused by this fact. That is all. 48 020
2:53 – Oh my frak, I have less than 1000 words to go and basically, this is the other INTENSE scene. I’m kind of winging this scene because I only brainstormed how it would go down literally thirty seconds ago. I think right now Jen and Christa are also in the midst of writing some very intense, dramatic important scenes for their novels xD. Anyway, (late) lunch time and then back to business. AHHHH. 49 025
5:13 – Friends, romans, countrymen, lend me your ears. I HAVE HIT 50K. And now I’m going to go dance. Literally. Like I’m going to go play Just Dance 4 because oh my goshhhhhhhh I DID IT. 50 292
6:08 – Alright. So yes, I did it! AHHH. I can see myself attempting to tweak stuff and whatever, but I’m saving this as it is right now in a file to be stored away as my first NaNoWriMo endeavour. At the end of November, I’m going to do a whole REFLECTION post because oh, there is much to reflect on.
I will end this post with a picture of my face after I finished writing 50K. Actually, it’s a picture me after I played Just Dance 4 which is what I did after finish because I had so much ENERGY. I would like to title this photo: “Here is the face of November.”
And I’m now off to a tree lighting shindig, so FARE THEE WELL~
Today is Day 11 of NaNoWriMo. In the almost two weeks that I’ve been writing, I’ve already learnt SO much. More on that on December 1st, however. Anyway, it’s time for another WRITE-A-THON. I’m not sure what time everyone will be around and I’m pretty sure I’ll have to stop for a power nap or something, but basically I’m starting super early today. So let’s see what we’ve got on the menu today~
Today’s project: The Autumn List (still not loving that title, but it’ll have to do for now.)
Current word count: 25 237
Today’s goal: to reach 30 000
I don’t know if my supposed super powers will be making an appearance today. I feel like I’m starting to reach that point in the story where most of the important scenes that need to happen have happened and I just need all of the transitions and ~fill in the blank scenes~ ……That fact pretty much SCARES ME. Oh well, we’ll see what happens…
8:30 – A pot of tea has been made and an extremely medieval breakfast consisting of a piece of bread has been consumed. I don’t think Jen is up yet, but I guess I’ll start…? 25 237
9:30 – Despite a case of morning sniffles, good progress is being made so far. My emotions are all over the place with this one series of scenes I’m working on. I’m not entirely sure at what point in the story this occurs, so I don’t know what these characters should be FEELING. 26 395
9:52 – ALERT. JEN IS AWAKE. YAAAY. 26 489
10:26 – This story is being written in first person, so my protagonist’s name keeps slipping from my mind as I only use it when someone is addressing her. Usually the name of the MC is set in stone for me from the beginning, but I’m actually finding myself a lit “blah” about it. Her name is Veronica and it’s all fine and well, but the guy’s name in this story is Luke and whenever I say their names together it sounds a bit too much like Veronica and Logan, i.e. the OTP from Veronica Mars. And that’s kind of distracting me. Sooo I don’t know. I’m thinking I might change her name since I’m not super attached to it. Just like the tentative title, I’m going to just wait it out. Her name will make itself known when it…makes itself known. 27 040
11:34 – 27 350. And okay, this has nothing to do with writing, but I just wanted to make a note of the fact that it’s Remembrance Day. Even though we shouldn’t limit our thoughts to just this one day of the calendar year, I think it’s important to commemorate and remember all of the sacrifices that were made that allow us to live as freely as we do today.
12:32 – My MCs (still named Veronica and Luke) are in a car and they are lost. Why? BECAUSE I AM LOST. 27 847
1:27 – Holy Procrastination Batman. I’m making steady progress, but I’m also super distracted. I’m not sure what it is but I just can’t seem to focus today. Especially when JENNIFER is sending me youtube links of stuff like this. Anyways, I think I’m also just trying to avoid writing because all of the scenes I planned to write today are DRAMATIC ones. Or they need to be dramatic, at least. In other news, I’ve moved on from listening to really weepy music to A Very Potter Musical. This playlist switch might not prove to be helpful… 28 240
3:02 – GRASPING AT STRAWS. Also, I think the daylight is interfering with the progress of this story. I usually write IN DARKNESS, so the brightness beaming at me through the window is throwing me off. 29 057
4:24 – I am just like a sad loaf of bread right now. Words are happening, but they are SO blah. Much like that sad attempt at a simile. Earlier during one of my bouts of procrastination, I took a webcam photo of myself so that I could remember this day. And now, like Jen, I will share said picture because clearly I have my priorities in order. 29 707 and this is my writing face. NO FANCY SLIPPER HERE.
5:22 – Yaaay, my goal for the day has been reached! Today was a freaking challenge. Never mind all of the random interruptions, but I feel like a lot of what I wrote were broken scenes. A snippet there. A short conversation here. So I think I’m still going to trudge on for the night. Just keep swimming~ 30 020
8:47 – Many sappy songs later, and I think I’m going to cap my pen for the day. I can’t believe I woke up twelve hours ago to do this. I feel like I just ran a mental marathon. I could probably still keep going if I reaaally wanted to, but I also really want to finish reading Fever by Lauren DeStefano, so I’m going to call it a night.
Final word count: 31 258
Words written today: 6021
Also, I think I’ve decided that I’m keeping the name Veronica. The name just clicked with the character today. LIKE MAGIC. Sort of trippy, but it happened. And so, another successful write-a-thon, another new theme song, another step closer to …WORD DOMINATION.
Yup. Tomorrow is November. What?! That means …NaNoWriMo. Do you know the first thing that pops into my mind when I someone says “NaNoWriMo”? It’s this:
(click the photo for the image credit and A RECIPE)
In case you have no idea what that is, it’s a nanaimo bar. Supposedly it’s some Canadian specialty, but to me it’s just one of the rare chocolate desserts that I’ll actually eat. My chocolate preferences are not what’s important right now, however. What’s important is that I’ve never really officially participated in this event. NaNoWriMo, I mean. Not a nanaimo event, though I’m sure somewhere in the great white north, they do exist. The reason for not participating? Every year on whatever various social media I frequent, someone (or several people) will obsessively or annoyingly NOT SHUT UP ABOUT IT. Needless to say, it’s always been a major turn-off. Throughout high school and university, I was constantly surrounded by people who were all, “Oh, I’m a writer. I’m working on a novel and I’m going to get it published. No, Lindsey, I don’t want to write for your lame newspaper or join your writing club because I’m clearly too cool for that, but still, writing is totally my passion. By the way, did I also mention I’m reading the CLASSIC NOVEL by Charles Dickens because I’m so into literature and writing. BLAH BLAH BLAH.“* Most of those people were all talk, no action. Or should I say “all talk, no writing.” So I stayed away. And for the record, my writing club was awesome.
To be completely honest, I’m still not even sure how I feel about NaNo. It should be quality over quantity, right? Just because I’m able to write 50K+ doesn’t mean that I’ve written a publishable novel. Likewise, I might only write 20K in a month, but be on the verge of something AMAZING. …But just like everything else in the whole dang universe, I feel I can’t really judge or say since I’ve never officially participated. That’s why I’ve signed up for this year. I suppose it could be said that next month is an experiment. I want to know if I can do it and I want to know if I like it. More importantly, I also want to know what happens next. Am I going to learn anything from this? Will I be a ~better writer on December 1st than I was on October 31st? DO I REALLY HAVE 8K/day SUPER POWERS? (I’ve officially been sorted in Slytherin, but apparently my Ravenclaw is still showing.)
My current WiP Verona Horse Mermaid (not the actual title, of course) is just under 30K at the moment. I wanted to just work on that for NaNo, but then I thought to myself …NO. I want to start an entirely new story from scratch. Once I make a drastic decision like that, I kind of force myself to keep it because I don’t like declaring stuff only to take it back. So yeah. My story this month will be a contemporary one. I don’t want to say it’s YA because I want the characters to be slightly older. We’ll see what happens.
So yes. There you go. My NaNo profile can be found here and I’m sure sporadic tweets will also appear on the subject. Thankfully I have friends who totally don’t annoy me when they talk about writing who are also participating this year. So basically, it’s going to be like a party. Hopefully. We’ve already got another writeathon date planned~ This is going to be interesting…
*Clearly I still have much pent up aggression from my teenage years. xD